For product / gift businesses, the busiest couple of months of the year are coming up, and you might be thinking, how do I make the most of this and find new customers?!
In this article, I’ll run through 25 ways to boost your reach.
But before we dive into it, one key caveat – you don’t need to do them all.
Overwhelm can paralyse us from taking action, so look through this list, choose your ‘low hanging fruit’ – the one(s) that will be simplest for you to do and create the biggest impact, and focus on those.
Some will be about finding customers, and some will be around how – once they’ve found you – you encourage those browsers to become subscribers. Both are vitally important.
Let’s dive in!
1. Check your website over – is it clear and easy to navigate?
2. Set up your website for gifting – have a ‘gift’ page, and make it easy to buy for someone else.
3. Take festive photos of your product(s), e.g., the background might include a Christmas tree, branches, berries, baubles, fairy lights, etc, for social media and your website.
4. Swap your website banners to festive ones.
5. Have ‘buy now’ buttons throughout your website.
6. Have a ‘call to action’ to gift at the bottom of every blog post.
7. Add testimonials, reviews, and any press mention logos to your website (social proof is a wonderful thing!)
8. Add a pop-up to your site with an offer / discount to encourage newsletter sign ups (newsletters can be a huge source of sales, especially in the run up to Christmas).
9. When it gets nearer to the time, add a countdown timer to your website for last post date.
10. Make sure you’re set up for gift vouchers – these could be cards you send out, or digital ones customers can automatically download.
11. Promote digital gift vouchers, especially once your ‘last orders’ post date has passed.
12. Can you create bundles, to increase your average order value – e.g., your most popular products + extras?
13. If you do Black Friday weekend, offer a bonus extra or bundle (rather than discounting).
Finding New Customers
14. Create a marketing campaign, e.g., 14 days of Christmas promotion, and decide of something new to do, share or give each day.
15. Look for press connection opportunities. One of my favourites in the UK is the press / small business community Lightbulb.
16. Look for bloggers and influencers who might do a review of your products.
17. Join gift listing websites (google for your country to find them).
18. Apply to join a 3rd party website that would sell products on your behalf, e.g., Not On The High Street.
19. Make sure your Facebook pixel is set up, and send out retargeting adverts for people who’ve been on your website in the past 30 / 60 / 120 days (they already know of your box, and a timely reminder might nudge more sales!) – as I write, this can still work for people with Android phones.
20. Create a giveaway competition where people can win a gift voucher or specific product from you, they just need to comment on your post to enter (this make it more likely others will see it too).
21. Send out ‘refer a friend’ offer flyers with your products.
22. Offer a friends and family discount for Christmas, eg, 15% off their first order.
23. Make sure your Google Analytics tracking is set up, and use it to see which of your marketing channels are converting well for you – you can tell quite quickly how the changes you make create an impact.
Newsletter Reminders / Offers
24. In addition to your normal newsletters, create a newsletter just about gifting and your Christmas offers (and Black Friday weekend, if you’re doing it).
25. Have a ‘call to action’ banner on the bottom of every newsletter.
This isn’t exhaustive, but these are the key ones I’ve used in the past and see working successfully.
Did you remember to keep overwhelm at bay? Don’t forget, just choose the key ones you can implement quickly.
If you’d like my support to give you a clear strategy for the run up to Christmas – or any other time of year – you can learn more about working with me here.
And, if you’d like more content like this in your inbox, join Simplified Strategy, my free weekly email series to create a more spacious and aligned business, tailored around your strengths. You can sign up below.